Curried Shrimp and Mango Soup
Note: I just got a Mac (yay!) and it doesn’t work with my usual blogging program so I’m trying to figure out how to get my pretty layouts back. In the meantime, I leave you with this poorly laid out post that I can’t figure out how to fix. Whoopsie! I’m slightly embarassed to hit ‘publish’ on something that doesn’t look right, but the recipe is too good to hold back from you!________________________________________________________________________________________
The other day I made a recipe that called for only 1/4 cup of lite coconut milk. What do do with the other 1.75 cups leftover in the fridge? I was in the mood to make a curry with it, and since there’s still a pre-spring chill in the air, this Eating Well Jamaican Curried Shrimp and Mango Soup caught my eye.
For this recipe, I used pre-cooked and frozen shrimp that I let defrost in a covered colander overnight. I also used an almost full bag of diced frozen mangos from Trader Joes. Those suckers are pricey to buy fresh right now!
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 serrano chile, minced (optional) – I added a squirt of sriracha sauce
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme – I used a few sprigs of fresh thyme from the AeroGrow
- 2 cups seafood broth or stock or clam juice – I used veggie broth
- 1 14-ounce can “lite” coconut milk
- 3 ripe mangoes, diced – I used pre-cut frozen
- 1 1/4 pounds raw shrimp (21-25 count), peeled and deveined – I used a bag of frozen
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt – I used a smidge more than this
For preparation instructions, which were surprisingly easy, click here.