Guest Post: Pizza on the Grill
Deanna Segrave-Daly is a partner with Teaspoon Communications and a registered dietitian that pretty much lives to eat. She blogs at www.teaspoonofspice.com and tweets as @tspbasil. She also co-hosts #kitchentool Twitter chats with Janel every other month on Twitter.
As summer kicks in and temperatures soar, I get super happy – not just because of the sunny weather but because it’s optimal pizza time! Whether you’re a gas, wood or charcoal burner, you must make your next pizza on your grill – it’s simple to do and the flavor is fantastic. Here are the basics:
- Start with one pound of pizza dough and roll into one large 12-inch circle or two 8 – 10 inch circles. (Note: some grocers now offer whole wheat pizza dough.)
- Make sure your grill rack is scrubbed clean.
- Heat gas grill to medium (with coals, wait until they have a grey ash then spread them around.)
- Brush dough with olive oil and place oiled side down on grill; cook for 2 -3 minutes (pizza will immediately puff up.)
- Turn over, brush dough with olive oil and working quickly, add toppings (cheese on bottom.)
- Cover grill and cook about 3 – 5 minutes (until pizza is golden brown and cheese is melted.)
- Top with a grind of black pepper and sprinkle of sea salt.
Some of my favorite topping combos:
- Cherry tomatoes (halved), mini fresh mozzarella balls (halved) & fresh basil
- Roasted asparagus spears & thinly sliced Provolone cheese
- Sautéed wild mushrooms, fresh thyme (chopped) & shaved Asiago cheese
- Dollops of ricotta, fresh figs (sliced) & rosemary sprigs
Toppings tip: Because grilled pizza cooks so fast, consider sautéing/roasting your veggies ahead of time for an extra punch of flavor.
If you are hankering for more from the grill, mark your calendar for our upcoming Twitter chat! Join Janel (@DietitianJanel) & me (@tspbasil) on Sunday, July 10th from 8 – 9 pm EDT for #kitchentool chat – we’ll be talking about gadgets & recipes for the grill with giveaways. No RVSP needed.