Mango Melon Smoothie
Beginning this month, I’ll be participating in the Recipe ReDux, which is a new cooking challenge founded by three dietitian pals. Believing that healthy eating should be (and can be) delicious, the aim with the ReDux is to reinvent the idea of healthy eating with a taste-first approach. Each month there will be a different food theme and on the 21st of each month, all the ReDux-ers will have our recipes posted within that theme. At the bottom of each post, you can click on the link to the other “ReDuxers” and see what delicious dishes they have created. This week’s theme is beverages!
Since Funk and I are huge smoothie drinkers, I knew that’d be my beverage of choice for the ReDux recipe. Throughout the winter, we’ll typically make fruit smoothies with frozen fruit (thank goodness Trader Joe’s has a great selection – berries, pineapple, mango galore). But in the summer, I’ve been experimenting a bit more with stone fruits, melons, and tropical coconut flavors.
I had a nice ripe honeydew melon sitting on my kitchen table and when I woke up to an already-hot summer Sunday morning recently, I new I wanted to churn it into an ice cold, refreshing smoothie to start my morning.
1 cup fresh or frozen mango, cubed
2+ cups honeydew melon, cubed
1 tray of ice cubes
Blend and sip! Our Vitamix pulverizes the ice cubes like magic, but if your blender isn’t so crushing, you might be better off just blending the frozen mango and honeydew.
It was refreshing, sweet, and a nice break from the usual frozen berry smoothie. I think this would also be divine with some fresh pineapple cubes blended in. Or maybe turn it into an adult beverage by mixing in some rum and topping it with a paper umbrella!
What foods do you enjoy to stay cool in the summer?
For more beverage ReDux recipes, check out these other great ideas!
· Dr. Barb, Nutrition Budgeteer Triple Cherry Chiller
· Carlene Helble, Carlene’s Figments Mint Berry Seltzer
· Kara Lydon, Peace, Love, and Food Blueberry Basil Lemonade Fizz
· Deanna Segrave-Daly, Teaspoon of Spice Cantaloupe Basil Aqua Fresca Fizz
· Jessica Fishman Levinson, Nutritioulicious Blueberry Basil Cooler
· Marie Spano, Performance Nutrition Post-Workout Power Smoothie
· Elizabeth Jarrard, Don’t White Sugar-Coat It Southern Blackberry Smash
· Emily Greenfield, The Nutriscientist Apple, pear and strawberry smoothie with Chia
· Kristen Bourque- Swanky Dietitian Fresh Fruit and Club Soda Cooler
· Regan Jones – The Professional Palate Berry-Lime Bubbly
· Kat Lynch – Eating the Week Sparkling melon fizz – nice & naughty
· Lisa @ Healthful Sense Berry Refreshing Chia Seed Smoothie
· EA Stewart-The Spicy RD Gingery Peach Float
· Alysa Bajenaru – Inspired RD Blackberry Banana Swirl
· Ann Dunaway Teh, Eat to Nourish, Energize & Flourish Pregnancy Mocktails
· Yuri – Chef Pandita Green Tea Ginger Limeade with Chia Seeds
· Karman Meyer-Nutrition Adventures Orange-Mint Iced Green Tea
· Cherie Schetselaar-Grain Crazy Mango Strawberry Smoothie
· Emma Stirling – The Scoop on Nutrition Recipe Redux Tangelo-ade