Recipe ReDux: Panko Crusted Asparagus Spears
This month’s Recipe ReDux theme is “The First Shoots of Spring,” and what better exemplifies a spring veggie than asparagus? We’re big fans of asparagus over here. I love it because, well, I pretty much love every vegetable, especially the green ones. Funk too, though we’re still working on brussels sprouts with him.
If you don’t think you love asparagus as much as me, I’m betting you’ll love it prepared this way. I was inspired by Eating Well’s recipe for Panko Crusted Asparagus, and especially loved the fact that no eggs were used! That’s usually always an ingredient when you’re “crusting” a food. I thought their sesame-miso-version sounded great, but decided to use my own twist on ingredients:
25 spears asparagus, washed and ends snapped off
1/3 cup canola oil mayonnaise (egg free)
2 Tbsp honey mustard
1 tsp Sriracha or hot sauce
1/2 teaspoon grape seed oil
3/4 cup Japanese-style panko breadcrumbs
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
pinch of salt
1. Preheat the oven to 450F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; coat with cooking spray.
2. Combine mayo, mustard, sriracha sauce, and oil in a small bowl and whisk with a fork to combine.
3. Place asparagus in a shallow dish and toss with the mayo mixture, using your fingers to make sure the asparagus is well coated.
4. Combine panko, nutritional yeast and salt on a large dish. Working one spear at a time, roll in the panko mixture and place on the prepared baking sheet, leaving room between each spear.
5. Roast the asparagus until the coating begins to brown and the asparagus is tender, about 20 minutes.
I was in heaven eating these, yes with my fingers. They were crispy and tender at the same time with the slightest twinge of heat from the sriracha sauce. I could have eaten all 25 spears, but thought I should save some for my asparagus-loving husband. I love the panko crusting method so much, I think it’d work just as well on tofu, baked eggplant slices, in stuffed tomatoes, and more.
Now that spring has sprung, check out some of these other delicious Recipe ReDux creations with fresh spring ingredients.
‘); // ]]>