Vegetarian Tikka Masala
- I haven’t had much time to catch up on my magazine reading recently, so while away on vacation earlier this month, I finally had a chance to flip through an old Eating Well magazine (my favorite!) and came across this seemingly easy recipe for Vegetarian Tikka Masala. I looooove Indian food but rarely make it because I’m always missing one spice or another. But I had everything for this recipe and only made minor tweaks. Funny thing – Funk and I went out to Indian food the night before we prepared this, and since I knew I was going to make the recipe, I asked for an order of basmati rice to go. Sure it’s easy to whip up some rice, but it’s even easier to have someone else do it for you!
- 3 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- 2 14-ounce packages extra-firm or firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon canola oil plus 2 teaspoons, divided
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, quartered and sliced (I used 2 green bell peppers)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger (I used a few dashes of dried ginger)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup half-and-half (I used a splash of almond milk instead)
For preparation instructions, click here.
This may be my new favorite homemade Indian food dish. It was simple to make and so incredibly flavorful.